Thursday, August 26, 2010

Space and rescources- Whos are they anyway?

That is a question that Daca's answer to is wrong, she thinks all of it is hers and needs guarded with all she has.  This became very clear to me yesterday.  My original plan was to keep her separate from the dogs completely until she has bonded with me.  As part of learning behaviors I took her out with my best mannered dog, Ariel.  I wanted to see exactly what I was dealing with as far as dog to dog interaction skills.  A week from now Ariel would have been old news.  As soon as we stepped outside Ariel came into my space and Daca lunged with great warning.  I stood and observed for a moment.  With her lunge Ariel had backed away.  As soon as Ariel took a step toward me again Daca lunged to back her off again.  I knew right then she was space guarding me.  


At this point I took out the treats and the behavior became worse than ever.  Right then I learned that now she not only felt she needed to guard me but also her favorite resource, food.  We then spent about 20 minutes working a few exercises trying to show her that my space is mine and any resource is mine.


After this bit of learning about Daca I have decided that Ariel will need to be a part of her training right from the beginning.  Only about an hour or so a day learning about resources/space.  I still will not allow much fun interaction as this is all about learning who rules the roost around here.  


Daca is getting it already.  Our session this afternoon in the yard went much better than I could have expected.  We only worked on space (I left the treats inside).  I won't bore you with details but here is how things were going by the middle of our session....

When Ariel would come to me for pets Daca would not come over unless I invited her.  She never lunged at Ariel.  She did try to give Ariel "the eye" a couple times.  Since I would not allow that in my space or allow her to be in my space anymore when she acted that way she quickly knocked it off.  I think that since I was able to pick up on her guarding in the very beginning that we will kick that in the bud easier.  I do not unrealistically think that I will make it go away but she will not guard against anyone that is part of our family.  Now outside the family will be a different story but we will tackle that one when we get there.  


I did allow them just hang together for few minutes.  Ariel is a people dog and really could care less about play with another dog.   Daca initiated a play bow to Ariel and took off running.  Ariel gladly chased her around one loop of the yard.  But that was enough play for the day for Ariel.  Daca would walk over to Ariel to give her kisses and she got a "good girl" from me every time.  Ariel only felt the need to correct Daca once and I was so very proud that Daca took the correction and went on with herself.  


I know it is not fixed by any stretch with a long road ahead of us but I am once again so proud of the progress she is making.  She is so very smart and gets things so easily.  I can not imagine it being a rough road at all.

I already love her dearly.  So far she is everything that I love about an aussie.  She is so smart, a great problem solver, very dedicated, a quick learner, tough, challenging, just to name a few....everything I LOVE. She has some funny behaviors and some silly noises too.  She is just a joy to be around. 


Let's finish with a pic....here she is resting next to me while I typed this....



4 comments:

  1. Love the update! Piper has decided to try and climb the social ladder here in the last couple days. Belle (her target) is not amused. Piper is in a time-out right now. : ) She has CGC class tonight anyway so needed a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled that you love her. It's pretty hard not to. I know what you mean about her having all the good qualities of an Aussie too. You are much savierthan me on how to overcome her "MINE" issues. And you are up for the challenges she presents. Her brother Moto is her in Eastern PA with a friend and he too has a wide range of vocalizations. They are adorable and hysterical. Has she met your sons yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely get Kristin to send you a video of her brother, Reid's funny noises. He hums while he eats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure we will have to deal with the social ladder too once they are all together. We are up for it!!

    I posted a video of her interacting with my sons for the first time. It worked!!! She jumped on my oldest lap this morning to smother him with kisses :-) My heart leaped with joy!!!

    Last night when she was settling down for the night she sounded like an old lady. It was hysterical!!

    ReplyDelete