Sunday, August 29, 2010

And the plastic flew.....

I decided it was time to take the plastic disc out to see how she would react to it.  Some dogs are a little hesitant at first, not really used to the feel of the hard plastic in their mouth.  I grabbed a frisbee and headed out with her.  She was so excited to see it like she knew exactly what we were headed to play.  

We started with a game of tug just to see if the feel would turn her off.  Heck no, that was easy for Miss Daca since tugging is officially her favorite game.  So I rolled it on the ground which she happily chased, picked up but headed the opposite way.  We laughed that off.  I decided some close up work until we get a firm full retrieve was our best option. She learned what a "take" was which she enjoyed with no hesitation.

Then our big moment came.  I decided to toss one about 5 yards out just to see if she would catch it or even attempt to catch it out of the air.  WHAT WAS I THINKING...of coarse she caught it!!!!  At this point I got a little over excited and threw one just a little longer.  She did not catch it but I am VERY impressed with her tracking skills.  She gave it her all so what more could I ask on our first practice??

At this point I am thinking some observation of Ariel playing will go a LONG way.   So far she has picked up on a lot just by watching.  She is one smart little girl that is for sure!!


Once we get a full retrieve down pat she will be smokin' ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment